Sunday 9 October 2016

My Interview with Author Dani Rene'



1.     When did you first realize you wanted to become a Writer/author?
I’d say the first inkling was when I was thirteen. I was on a road trip and I sat in the back of the car, staring at the scenery and images, characters came to life, but I never really wrote a story until December 2014. It was always snippets and teasers. But when I wrote Ace of Harts, my debut, it’s as if the story came to life and I felt like I was watching a movie in my mind.

2.     Where do you get your ideas for your book?
My ideas come from everyday life, from friends, family, mostly the characters ‘talk’ to me. Ideas can come at any time of the day or night. They can pop up when I’m doing grocery shopping, or doing the washing up, or at the most inopportune times when I’m in a meeting with a client (yes, I have a 9-5 as well) lol

3.     What kind of things do you enjoy when not writing?
I live in a vibrant arty city, so if I’m not writing, I’m possibly at a quaint coffee shop with friends, or at one of our many wine farms enjoying a relaxing glass or two. Hiking, I love the beach which isn’t far from my home, also, I love to read, so you can also find me on the sofa with my Kindle in hand.

4.     How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?
So far I’ve published five books. I’ve written more, I have a few unfinished, or close to finished manuscripts on my computer at the moment that need to either go to the editor or my BETAs. I don’t really have a favorite, but I love them all for different reasons. Each one has its own story to tell and I love how they’re all diverse with their own special tale. But if I had to choose one, it’s a story that’s not yet released. It will probably be coming out early next year (not confirmed). But that’s all I can say for now J

5.     Do you have any suggestions to help others who have a passion for writing?
Read. Don’t Give Up. I say read because from reading other books you’ll see what have done and are doing. It gives you a sense of inspiration, and you’ll also find that you will find a niche. Some authors can write many genres’ some can’t, so find your niche and don’t give up. Sometimes it is difficult, especially asking people to take a chance on you, but it’s all worth it in the end. Find a good editor, seriously, it’s one of the most important things to have before you hit publish. Also, try to write every day, even if it’s only a short paragraph or two. But in saying that, don’t force a story, if it’s not flowing, you can’t make it happen.

6.     What do you think makes a great story?
I love stories that seep into your heart and rip it apart. LOL! I love emotion, I love to ‘feel’ the character’s pain, anguish, angst. If you can evoke emotion from your reader, that is the most amazing feeling. I get DM’s from my BETA’s or readers sometimes screaming at me for something the character has done, and I love it. Mainly because I know they’re so invested in the story, they’re ‘feeling’ the emotion. That’s what I strive to do when I write. And that for me makes a great, unforgettable story.

7.     Which Writer/Authors inspire you?
There are so many talented authors, and some of them have become really good friends. But, if I have to name those who inspire me most, I’d say K Webster, she has an incredible talent in writing ANY genre, her stories evoke the ‘emotion’ I spoke of earlier, and her characters just draw me into her books, I can easily read one of hers in one sitting. Another author who’s become an all time favorite, and she’s also an amazing woman is M Never. She’s also created stories that I can’t forget, the way she weaves her storyline’s is addictive, I’ve read her books in one sitting, binge reading them lol. These two ladies have become great friends and have offered me advice, guidance, and just been amazing.

8.     What are you working on at the moment? (optional)
Haha, well… I’m working on a few different stories at the moment. I have a novella which is part of an anthology which will be releasing early next year, if you’re on social media you may have seen a few teasers about BROTHEL, it’s an anthology based in a Southern Brothel in Mississippi. I’m also working on a contemporary romance which is different to my other books I’ve written, very emotional, very raw, with a bit of heart wrenching. And then there are a few lined up for the new year which I haven’t yet announced.

9.     What genre are your books?
Contemporary/Erotic Romance. I’ve got a couple of dark romance’s coming out next year as well.

10.                        What drew you to the genre you write?
I love fairytales, I love HEA’s. And I enjoy adding a bit of naughty in with those romances. I used to read a lot of romantic comedies, but after reading 50SOG, (yup, I’m a fan), I started reading more erotic romance and that sort of influenced my writing as well.

11.                        Which Actor/Actress would you like to see portraying the lead character from your most recent book?(any book you like)
Uhm… Well, I’m not sure about my most recent, but if I had to choose for my novella Ace of Harts, the lead male would be Jared Leto, he was my muse for Triston Hart. For my second book Broken by Desire, the lead Lucien Verán, I would say Jensen Ackles. For Between Love & Fire, which is my third release, I didn’t really have a muse for Callum Hayes, but his character was kind of inspired by Jared Leto. (See a pattern here? LOL)
Shattered by Love, my fourth release, I’d choose Stephen Amell for my character Jayce Alexander. For my newest release, Between Lust & Tears, the main inspiration for Liam Hayes was Shannon Leto.

12.                        Do you write full-time or part-time?
I write part-time at the moment, I have a normal 9-5 job and I try to get as much writing done in the evening and on weekends.

13.                        What is the hardest thing about writing?
It’s always nerve wracking hitting publish, and I tend to not read reviews. Sometimes there are people who are out to be mean and it’s soul destroying seeing someone rip you apart. And I’m not talking about reviews that have criticism, I mean the one’s that attack authors and their work. That’s one of the most difficult things.

14.                        Any tips on how to get through the dreaded Writer’s block?
To be honest, I’ve not had that, yet. But if I feel uninspired, I normally head outside, take a break and a breather and then come back to a scene or story a couple of hours later. I find it helps the mind relax. Also, I read, I will pick up a book and just lose my mind in someone else’s story for a while. I don’t like forcing a story, so if something’s not working, step away.

15.                        Do you read much, and if so who are your favorite Authors or genres?
I read WAY too much! LOL. I have a TBR that’s never-ending and I always try making a dent in it. There’s such a long list of authors I love, but some of my favorite authors are K Webster, M Never, KL Kreig, Meghan March, Pepper Winters, TM Frazier, Stylo Fantome, AM Johnson. I love dark romance, some taboo, twisted and bad for you. But I also love some contemporary romance. I have a weakness for a great written alpha male and a strong female.

16.                        Is there anything else you would like to add that I haven’t included?
I’m not sure, I think you’ve definitely picked my brain with these. Thank you so much for asking me to take part and I hope I’ve given you a little more insight into me and my writing.

How can Readers discovery more about you and your work? (please provide proper links)
I love stalkers, so they can find me here:
https://www.instagram.com/danireneauthor/
http://eepurl.com/b88H4n (newsletter sign up)

Thank you very much for taking the time out of your busy schedule to take part in this interview 😊

No comments:

Post a Comment