Tuesday 3 January 2017

My Interview with Author J.N. Sheats








1.     When did you first realize you wanted to become a Writer/author?

8th grade, I woke up with an amazing idea for a character and thought it would make a great book. From that moment on I wanted to be a writer.

2.     Where do you get your ideas for your book?

All over the place. A person, an object, something someone says it's a random process. Usually I get ideas by wondering what two crazy ideas together would look like, or it starts off with a character that I want to know more about.

3.     What kind of things do you enjoy when not writing?

I draw and design, cook, garden, play with my little devil cats.

4.     How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?

I have written and published five books so far with a sixth coming soon. My favorite is Lineage, my most currently release, but the Opsona series will always have a special place in my heart.

5.     Do you have any suggestions to help others who have a passion for writing?

Just do what you want. I see a lot of authors taking too much from the opinions of their beta readers, or writing to please their readers. They also worry what people are going to think about this ending, or if their character does that. Screw that, do what you want and if it makes you uncomfortable or unsure, do it! That's how we grow.

6.     What do you think makes a great story?

Honesty, if you write honestly then it will always be a good book. Especially if you let your characters be who they are. No sugar coating, or fitting into this genre or that.

7.     Which Writer/Authors inspire you?

I don't have anyone that inspires me, but I do admire a great deal of my fellow authors. But that's true of any writer, even the unpublished because it takes a great deal of courage to write. No matter how much fantasy you pour into a book/story, there is always a hint of personal truth. That takes courage.

8.     What are you working on at the moment?(optional)

Currently I'm working on a dark romance called A-Jax, that I hope to have out the beginning of February.

9.     What genre are your books?

I typically write paranormal/dark fantasy, but I'm branching off into dark romance.

10.                        What drew you to the genre you write?

I love things that go bump in the night, there is something very alluring to the dark and the creatures that live in it. Plus I get to write about vampires. ;)

11.                        Which Actor/Actress would you like to see portraying the lead character from your most recent book?(any book you like)

Hmmmm, that's hard. Lucy Hale, she would be perfect for Joey Morris.

12.                        Do you write full-time or part-time?

I currently write part-time because I do design work for other authors, but I'm hoping to change that in 2017.

13.                        What is the hardest thing about writing?

My anxiety. That little bastard never lets me rest, but it gets really bad when I want to write. It sometimes comes down to a panic-attack before I can actually start writing.

14.                        Any tips on how to get through the dreaded Writer’s block?

Do something insane, in the story of course. When I'm stuck I throw something at my characters from left-field. I might never use it in the story, but it brings some new ideas to the table.

15.                        Do you read much, and if so who are your favorite Authors or genres?

I don't get to read as much as I would like, but yes I do read. I read just about anything you put in front of me, though I actually love technical books. I also read a lot of romance which is funny because my own books have romantic elements but focus more on the action and battles.

16.                        Is there anything else you would like to add that I haven’t included?

Nope, you're good. :)

17.                        How can Readers discovery more about you and your work?(please provide proper links)

Facebook is the best place to find me, but I post just as much on my blog.


Oh, don't forget my newsletter! Starting the end of January I will be sending out a special newsletter with a fantasy series, Divine Legacy. Each month a new piece of the story comes out. 


I'm also on Patreon where my supporters get first looks, gifts, and more when they sign up to support me.

 
Thank you very much for taking the time out of your busy schedule to take part in this interview 

Thank you so much for having me. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment